I'd heartily recommend chef - chef.opscode.com.

Large library of scripts for almost any package or tool you're likely to want,
scales out to lots of nodes but can be run in a simple solo mode for small
deployments. Only downside is it's ruby but mostly you use the configuration
language so not really a problem.

I use Chef plus fabric to automate deployments of hundreds of nodes.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos