I'd like to know what kind of experience people have had, in using
virtualenv (to run a particular version of Python on a VPS) with
Django, and related packages? Not *just* Django (and Python), I'm
fairly sure that will work, but all the other bits and pieces that
tend to be required, like mod_wsgi, or mysqldb_python, and so on?

Is virtualenv really effective, or does it turn out to be a nightmare
to get everything working correctly? I've been looking around the web
(particularly StackOverflow), and it like more like a nightmare. :(

The VPS I am using, turns out to run on CentOS, which uses Python 2.4
for everything, alas. So either I downgrade all my existing 2.6 code
to 2.4, or I install 2.6 on the VPS without breaking it, which would
require virtualenv. (Or changing hosting, which I'm also seriously
considering...)

John C>