At the time I asked the question I just had the sense that I wanted to
debug an issue by bringing up the web interface midway through my
test.   I attempted to do things like stop midway through the test via
set_trace() and then ctrl-c, then look at the db from a runserver run
that was pointing to the test database, but I find that the test
database is empty, as if the data has not yet been written out to it
by the test.

Perhaps if I call dumpdata from the call_command as you suggest, that
will get around this.

Maybe I don't even need this.  It just seemed nice to be able to debug
a test from the web interface, but in reality, now that I am off and
running writing tests, I guess I haven't ended up needing it after
all ...

In any case, thanks for your response.

Margie