hi,
   check django-admin.py help you can see list of commands
available.
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE might be set u can check whether it is set or
not in commandline using echo $DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE.

You can try using python django-admin.py startproject proj_name.  or
python C:\Python26\Scripts\django-admin.py startproject projectname

lokesh s