On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM, George Cummins <geo...@8people.com> wrote:
> While testing changes to an existing project, I disabled debugging. While
> trying to restart the web server (uWSGI+nginix), I encountered the following
> error:
>
> File "/opt/django-projects/preps/statistics/models.py", line 5, in <module>
>
>     from preps.games.models import FootballGame, VolleyballGame,
> GirlsBasketballGame, BoysBasketballGame, BaseballGame, SoftballGame
>
> ImportError: cannot import name VolleyballGame
>
> (Full traceback here: http://pastebin.com/AqzjTuLz)
> This error does not occur when DEBUG=True, and does not occur when using
> Django's runserver whether debugging is on or off. It only occurs when using
> my production stack ( Django 1.2.5+uWSGI+nginx ).
> I have checked and rechecked the code, and can find no problems. Can you
> tell me the differences in the way Django handles imports when debugging is
> on or off, or point to relevant documentation?
> Thank you,
> George Cummins

Django doesn't do anything differently, AFAIK (happy to be corrected).

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that there cannot be a
difference. For instance, if prep/games/models.py started like this:

from django.conf import settings
if not settings.DEBUG:
  from django import no_such_module

then attempting to import a model from that file would fail if
settings.DEBUG is off. Obviously this is a contrived example, but
could something like this be affecting you?

Cheers

Tom