Not the exact answer you were looking for, but I was only wondering, if you
have already figured the actual SQL query then why not simply use that
instead.

It's not mandatory to use the model query APIs, if your query is complex.
Using the raw() API would still yield you model querysets or instances.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/sql/