Thanks for all the responses on this. After watching the error logs on the
production server I saw tons of infinite redirect loops on calls for
admin_media:

"GET /admin_media/js/jqu///////////404.shtml/ HTTP/1.1" 302 -  ...

This wasn't immediately apparent since the admin *seemed* to look and work
properly. But that prompted me to poke around in the vhost definition for
the admin_media alias, and sure enough, discovered we had two copies of
Django installed in the virualenv - one in src and one in
lib/pythton2.7/site-packages.  The vhost alias for admin_media was pointing
to the wrong version, so some of the admin media worked while some did not.

Basically, all of those bad requests were opening TCP connections that never
got closed... which the firewall's CT_LIMIT feature noticed and blocked.

To fix, I corrected the admin_media alias in the vhost and deleted the old
Django installation.

Thanks again.