Another way, would be to use PageKite. The service provides a wildcard
SSL cert for all *.pagekite.me names.  From the command line:

   curl http://pagekite.net/pk/pagekite-0.4.py >pagekite.py
   python pagekite.py 8000 yourname.pagekite.me

Answer the account creation questions and then go to
https://yourname.pagekite.me/ - whatever is on port 8000 should be
visible.  If you want to quickly password protect it so your dev work
isn't open to the world, do this instead:

   python pagekite.py 8000 yourname.pagekite.me +password/user=secret

(disclaimer: I made this! I love feedback. :-)

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Gelonida N <gelon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 01:44 AM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>> 2011/9/14 Simon Bächler <s...@feinheit.ch>:
>>> Any news considering HTTPS and runserver?
>>
>> What "News" are you expecting?
>>
>> The Django project has made no secret of the fact that we don't
>> consider runserver to be a "real" webserver. It isn't intended for
>> production use. We haven't spent any time or effort auditing it for
>> production use. It is missing many key features that a "real"
>> webserver needs to have.
>>
>> runserver is intended to be the bare minimum necessary to support
>> local development. If you have nontrivial needs, you should be looking
>> at alternative options for local development.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Russ Magee %-)
>>
> You can also create a minimalist https server with python twisted
> (and the openssl module)
>
> You just need  additional url rules, such, that django is also serving
> /static amd /media directories:
>

> just set PYTHONPATH
> and
> DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE
> as needed,
>
> create a file named django_wrapper.py with following contents:
> # ######## File starts here ##################
> from django.core.handlers.wsgi import WSGIHandler
>
> application=WSGIHandler()
>
> and call then
>
> twistd -n web --https $HTTPS_PORT -p $HTTP_PORT \
> --certificate yourcert.crt --privkey your_cert.key \
> --wsgi django_wrapper.application

Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/