I'm presently using a URL parameter to allow requests to specify a
particular template they want the results to be returned in, allowing
AJAX requests to get results in a particular format for inclusion in
different pages without any code duplication.

Is this actually safe? Is the input taken by render_to_response as the
template name actually sanitized enough to prevent Bad Thingsā„¢ from
happening?

Obviously someone could request a template that's going to generate
errors on rendering (since the requester has no direct control over
the parameters the template will render with), but trying this out it
doesn't look like this will do anything other than generate an error
response. Am I missing something important?

Thanks for your help,
Matthew