Thanks for the thoughts, Stuart.

On Dec 23, 2:08 pm, Stuart Laughlin <stu...@bistrotech.net> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 9:01 am, ChrisCurvey<ccur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The short version:  when processing a request, does Django *always*
> > collect session information from the session store before starting the
> > view?
>
> Yes. However note that django only saves to the session database when
> the session has been modified. It doesn't seem like that's affecting
> you, but I can't be sure.

So long as Django is auto-saving and auto-fetching, I think I should
be OK.  I guess I could set up something to monitor the database
activity.

> http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/chapter14/
>
> > The long version:
>
> > i have an application that makes heavy use ofAJAX.  When a user
> > changes something on the page, the page fires anAJAXPOST to apply
> > the changes to the database, then a series ofAJAXGETs to refresh
> > other portions of the page.
>
> You say, "then a series ofAJAXGETs" but when is "then"? Presumably
> in the post's callback function? Because otherwise you have no
> guarantee that the POST completes before the GETs fire.

The query is fired from jQuery, and here's my code.  (I realize this
is getting a little far from being Django-specific)

      $.ajax({url: "/hold_time_cost/" ,
              data: {tran_num : $(this).attr('tran_num'),
                     value : checked,
                     file_number : file_number},
              type: "POST",
              async: false,
              cache: false,
              complete: function(request, status) {
                get_unbilled_costs(file_number);
                get_held_costs(file_number);
              }
            });

> > Some of the GETs are expensive, so I have some process_response()
> > middleware that caches the HTML generated by the GET in the Django
> > session.  (It's the standard database session store.)  I also have
> > some process_request() middleware that either returns the cached HTML
> > if it can, or invalidates the cache on any POST.
>
> > Just to add to the fun, I have a four identical Django/mod_wsgi
> > instances running behind a round-robin load balancer.  So the POST
> > request might get handled by Django1, the first GET by Django2, the
> > second GET by Django3, and so on.
>
> > My problem is that sometimes the results of the POST are not visible
> > in the results of the GET.  The problem is intermittent, which is
> > leading me to point the finger at my cacheing strategy.  My assumption
> > was that Django would reload the session from the database every time
> > before starting my view code, but I'm wondering if that is not true
> > (or if there is some other issue that I'm not thinking about).
>
> Yes, your caching seems a likely culprit, and so does the asynchronous
> nature of youAJAX(but it seems like you've got a handle on that
> part). I haven't thought through the load balancer bit yet, but
> presumably they are all using the same cache / database / session
> store..?

I'm wondering if maybe I should futz with using the
django.contrib.sessions.backends.cached_db for a session engine.

> --Stuart

-- Chris