On Jan 11, 9:23 pm, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:26:44 +0000, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Jeff <jbla...@mitre.org> wrote:
> >> When Device.netgroups (a M2M field) changes, we need to perform
> >> some python-ldap operations.
>
> >Have you considered simply going back to the database to check what
> >the values currently are? It would be inefficient, but clean and
> >concise.
>
>         I've forgotten how many means of changing this data there are,
> but...

Dennis,

Several.

A web-only solution won't work.

I found the 'm2m_changed' signal yesterday, read that you can't
determine *what* changed by using it, and also ended up directed
to some open bug reports... etc... and threw up my hands.

To the best of my digging, there is no way to accurately tell
in SomeModel.save() whether the previous value of MyM2MField
and the new value are the same, and/or what the differences
are.

I ended up completely restructuring stuff (I'll spare you the
details) so that I can just say "whatever .netgroups looks
like AFTER save, make LDAP look exactly like that."  This
is essentially what Tom Evans suggested in his reply.  It's
inefficient, and clearly a workaround, but is at least doable.

It boils down in LDAP-terms to saying "replace all attribute
values for X with the following full data.  I don't care what
your old data was."  ... instead of saying, "remove value Y
from the 1000 values set on X"  :|

Thank you all for your efforts to help.