urls.py:
url(r'^login$', 'views.Login'),
url(r'^logout$', 'views.Logout'),

views.py:
def Login(request, next=None):
    """
        Used to log into the application.
    """

    #  If the user is authenticated pass them through to the homepage.
    if request.user.is_authenticated():
        return HttpResponseRedirect('/')

    # If the user is not authenticated, but the method is POST, they have
posted their username and password.
    if request.method == "POST":

        # Get Username and Password.
        username = request.POST['username']
        password = request.POST['password']

        # Authenticate.
        user = authenticate(username=username, password=password)

        # If the User is not None, they have a valid account and password.
        if user is not None:

            # If the user isactive, we can log them in.
            if user.is_active:
                # Log them in, and redirect to the homepage.
                login(request, user)
                return HttpResponseRedirect('/')

            # If the user is not active, pass them back to the login page,
with a message that the account is inactive.
            else:
                return render_to_response('login.htm', {'error': 'Account
Disabled - contact I.T. for assistance'},
context_instance=RequestContext(request))

        # The user with those credentials did not exist, pass them back to
the login page, with a message that the account was invalid.
        else:
            return render_to_response('login.htm', {'error': 'Invalid
Username/Password - contact I.T. for assistance'},
context_instance=RequestContext(request))

    # They have not yet attempted a login, pass them to the login page,
without any error messages..
    else:

        return render_to_response('login.htm', {'NoSessionTimeout': 'True',
'next': next}, context_instance=RequestContext(request))

def Logout(request):
    logout(request)

    # Render the logout.htm page, which will display they are logging out
and redirect them to the login page.
    return render_to_response('login.htm', {'notice': 'You have been logged
out successfully.'}, context_instance=RequestContext(request))

template login.htm:

.
.
.
<form enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" action="/login"
method="post" name="login">
 {% csrf_token %}
{% if error %}
 {% FatalImage %}
{{ error }}
 {% endif %}
{% if warning %}
{% WarnImage %}
 {{ warning }}
{% endif %}
 {% if notice %}
 {% NoticeImage %}
{{ notice }}
 {% endif %}
<input type="text" value="" name="username" id="username" size="32"
maxlength="64" />
 <input type="password" value="" name="password" id="password" size="32"
maxlength="255" />
 <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login" />
</form>