On 23 January 2012 15:22, JJ Zolper <cod...@madtrak.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was able to install Django to my machine and before I was using the
> command prompt. Django's path is in my Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise
> Environment variable. Python worked fine as well too. I also installed
> IPython because I heard it was useful but I haven't tried that yet.
> Everything has been good so far. I would like some input on what I am
> currently trying now.
>
> I have gone ahead and installed IronPython. I already had Visual Studio 2010
> on my computer so I was using that. I also installed Python Tools for Visual
> Studio. As I mentioned before I already have Python 2.7.2 installed.
>
> I was able to see the image/window in step 3
> here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation%20-%20details&referringTitle=Home
>
> It shows the options pane for Python Tools for Visual Studio. I was able to
> see that PT4VS (Python Tools for Visual Studio) was correctly including the
> location of the Python install at C:/Python27/python.py. Everything looked
> good there as it seems that Python was incorporated into PT4VS. I was trying
> to continue through the tutorial but I was having problems. I tried this
> command: python manage.py runserver but I only recieved a traceback error.

You've left out the most important bit - the actual traceback error. What is it?

If it can't find something, then it could be a PYTHONPATH issue.
Google tells me PT4VS may not support the usual way modules are
discovered (http://pytools.codeplex.com/discussions/254602), although
that should affect IronPython only, and not CPython (possibly
intellisense as well).

Inside PT4VS, in the interactive window, type in the following and
paste the result -

import sys
print sys.path

> Additionally in PT4VS there is a field for a startup script. I wrote one and
> here it is:
>
> import os
> import IPython
> import django
> os.chdir('c:\\MTDevelopment\\Django\\newartists')
>
> This so that I could change my directory to where my startproject was set
> with all the django web framework files. Also to import IPython and django
> as you see here. That seemed to work as I anticipated.

This smells like a hack. Your default working directory should already
be the directory your app is in. If it isn't, you need to check your
project settings (you are using a Python VS project right?).