On 26 January 2012 13:14, JJ Zolper <cod...@madtrak.com> wrote:
>> The keywords were 'in production'. The development server (i.e. python
>> manage.py runserver) works fine under Windows. But when you want to
>> make the website accessible to your audience (the internet, company
>> etc.), you should host that on Linux.
>
> I still don't quite understand. Can you explain more? I would think this
> means that my Django files should be on a Linux portion of my web server? I
> am with Bluehost.com

When you are developing your Django app, the development server that
comes with Django (python manage.py runserver) works fine on Windows.
When you are ready to move things into production for everyone else
access, you should not use the development server; instead you should
use a proper web server, e.g. nginx, cherokee or Apache. Those web
servers tend to be better documented on Linux.

If it makes things easier, just do everything on Linux.

> I have installed ActiveState and will give it a try. I have my VS up and
> running with Python Tools for VS so that should be okay.
>
> Hey Sam you've been a great help. Would you by chance mind giving me your
> e-mail address? That way in the future I could work with you? I won't bother
> you too much don't worry! lol. Just since I am trying your advice it could
> be a great help to me.
>
> What Virtual Machine did you pick? What Linux version are you running?

I'm just using VirtualBox, running a whatever Linux distro I happen to
like at the time, e.g. CentOS, Ubuntu etc.