I guess my idea can help you out! Install Django 1.3. After
installing, try and download packages like omab/social_auth that will
enable users to log in through facebook, twitter etc. Also download
agon_ratings that will enable users to rate. You can get those
packages from djangopackages.com. Use Django comments for making users
comments. You will have to write some views, models, templates codes
for somethings. I hope you know about django?

For me Pinax aint helping at all. You still have a long way to go
though. If you keep persisting, you will get there. I'm also a noob
though. Feel free to let me know what you think!

Cheers