Static media under the development server worked without a problem for
me for a few months, and still does but calling:

{{ modelxx.objectyy.url }}

to get a file url seemed to add full path out of nowhere instead of
relative path. Now

/site_media/{{ modelxx.objectyy.url }}

gives double prefix of : /home/trak/media/home/trak/media/dir/
filename ; my plugin that uses this URL is now broken. Removing the /
site_media/ prefix and using just

fileurl = {{ modelxx.objectyy.url }}

would seem to work and gives the exact path /home/trak/media/dir/
filename, but miraculously does not work. Perhaps calling  /home/
directly perms problem? Anyway the only way I can get the url to work
is by keeping the /site_media/ prefix and pasting in a static
extension:

/site_media/dirxx/filename

I am at a complete loss but know that originally the combination /
site_media/{{ modelxx.objectyy.url }}  worked fine and now the
{{  .url  }} usage seems to have thrown in full path. I was trying
some experiments with external apps and app some includes but I do not
see how this would affect any thing. I did turn off  USE_I18n in
settings file. Here are my 3 url settings, and below is most of my
settings file:
Is there a setting that forces the {{.url }} call to give a full path
rather than relative?

ANY thoughts would be appreciated.

(r'^site_media/(?P<path>.*)$', 'django.views.static.serve',
    {'document_root': '/home/trak/media'}),

MEDIA_ROOT = ''

MEDIA_URL = '/home/trak/media/'

###################################### Django settings

DEBUG = True
TEMPLATE_DEBUG = DEBUG

ADMINS = (
    # ('Your Name', 'your_em...@example.com'),
)

MANAGERS = ADMINS

# system time zone.
TIME_ZONE = 'America/Chicago'

SITE_ID = 1

# If you set this to False, Django will make some optimizations so as
not
# to load the internationalization machinery.
USE_I18N = False

# If you set this to False, Django will not format dates, numbers and
# calendars according to the current locale
USE_L10N = True

# Absolute filesystem path to the directory that will hold user-
uploaded files.
# Example: "/home/media/media.lawrence.com/media/"
MEDIA_ROOT = ''

# Examples: "http://media.lawrence.com/media/";, "http://example.com/
media/"
MEDIA_URL = '/home/trak/media/'

# Example: "/home/media/media.lawrence.com/static/"
STATIC_ROOT = ''

# Example: "http://media.lawrence.com/static/";
STATIC_URL = '/static/'

# URL prefix for admin static files -- CSS, JavaScript and images.
# Make sure to use a trailing slash.
# Examples: "http://foo.com/static/admin/";, "/static/admin/".
ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX = '/static/admin/'

# Additional locations of static files
STATICFILES_DIRS = (
    # Put strings here, like "/home/html/static" or "C:/www/django/
static".
    # Always use forward slashes, even on Windows.
    # Don't forget to use absolute paths, not relative paths.
)

# List of finder classes that know how to find static files in
# various locations.
STATICFILES_FINDERS = (
    'django.contrib.staticfiles.finders.FileSystemFinder',
    'django.contrib.staticfiles.finders.AppDirectoriesFinder',
#    'django.contrib.staticfiles.finders.DefaultStorageFinder',
)

# List of callables that know how to import templates from various
sources.
TEMPLATE_LOADERS = (
    'django.template.loaders.filesystem.Loader',
    'django.template.loaders.app_directories.Loader',
#     'django.template.loaders.eggs.Loader',
)

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
    'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
    'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
    'user_profiles.middleware.CurrentUserMiddleware',
)

ROOT_URLCONF = 'trakdrop.urls'

INSTALLED_APPS = (
    'django.contrib.auth',
    'django.contrib.contenttypes',
    'django.contrib.sessions',
    'django.contrib.sites',
    'django.contrib.messages',
    'django.contrib.staticfiles',
    'registration',
    'tdcreative',

    # Uncomment the next line to enable the admin:
    'django.contrib.admin',
    # Uncomment the next line to enable admin documentation:
    # 'django.contrib.admindocs',
)

    'loggers': {
        'django.request': {