I just figured this one out:

Basically in the view I had the following just before calling the save
method on the database:
object.email_template = form.cleaned_data['email_message']

instead of
object.email_message = form.cleaned_data['email_message']

The strange thing is that the data was actually being stored in the
correct field in the database, and was coming out correctly, but
something went haywire when I tried to wrap it in a message.