On Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:24:30 AM UTC-7, skhohlov wrote:

> Of course form  does not have access to the object.

skholov - Thanks, but you misunderstand my question. Again, I know that
forms don't have access to request, and again, I've got it working already
(though with a different approach - see my OP). My question was an attempt
to understand the plumbing or the python better. To reiterate, I'd like to
know WHY request isn't automatically available from forms, as it is from
views. To put the question another way, when we define a view function, we
do something like:

def edit(request,story_id):

But when we create a form, we can't just do:

class StoryForm(ModelForm, request):

It seems like this is the kind of thing Django could take care of for us -
we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get at request -  but there's
probably a good reason why it works this way. Does my question make more
sense now?

Thanks,
Scot