I'm struggling with how I should go about writing "pluggable" apps.  I
haven't found a satisfactory way of decoupling apps from a site and
the primary sticking point is templates.  I've combed through some
discussions but have not found any that have helped.

A site's templates determine the look and feel.  If an app is to play
nice, then it needs to know a site's templates.  If an app uses its
own templates, then it can override the site's look and feel.

One approach is for an app to provide only functionality.  A site that
uses an app then has the responsibility of developing views for an app
it chooses to use.  This seems to me the best way forward.

How do you go about solving this problem?

Thanks.