Sorry for the late chime-in. Here's the "budget scalability" route we at
http://www.fireflie.com are taking for our rewrite in Django.

We decided to go with AWS. Initial hosting costs are free for the server
until we are ready to push to production and need a larger instance. We are
using Nginx for our front-end and uWSGI for our django application. Nginx
makes it easy to add more Django Application Servers as needed without any
down-time (Scaling through Parallelism). We can easily move our database
(MySQL) to larger and more optimized EC2 Instances as needed. If we ever
got to a point where we somehow outgrew Amazon (possible?), then it'd
probably be time to re-think our application design and maybe move to
dedicated hardware.

There's a few major benefits here. First, there's no real extra development
requirements to simply add more application servers -- so no higher
development costs. Second, it's somewhat easy enough to upgrade instances
as needed so you could write up some easy directions for your client and
let them handle it if they don't want to pay you. Finally, you can take
advantage of S3/Cloudfire for *cheap* data storage and the quick content
delivery network. There's no internal bandwidth charges if you use S3 from
an EC2 instance.

I can see their perspective for wanting to be scalable off the bat.
Computers and Bandwidth are cheap, developers are not. In the long run it
can be very expensive to re-write an entire web application in a scalable
manner if it's not done so in the beginning. I don't think you'd have this
problem with Django unless you're doing something very custom and
server-dependent. In my opinion, paying $1,000 for a web application, and
therefore expecting a large amount of traffic and probably income, is way
too little to expect any kind of a guarantee -- let alone a guarantee that
it'll scale to infinite and beyond.

Good luck!