Something more specific in case it helps: as an example, when I try to
access my admin view while logged in as my regular user ("guillaume")
instead of "postgres", I get the following error:

OperationalError at /admin/

FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

 Request Method: GET  Request URL: http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/  Django
Version: 1.3.1  Exception Type: OperationalError  Exception Value:

FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

 Exception Location:
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql_psycopg2/base.py
in _cursor, line 140  Python Executable: /usr/bin/python  Python Version:
2.7.2  Python Path:

['/home/guillaume/moisiedarling',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload',
 '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gst-0.10',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0',
 '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntu-sso-client',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-control-panel',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-couch',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-installer',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-storage-protocol',
 '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode']

 Server time: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 01:46:23 -0500