My frustration was borne by the ease with which Debian makes the task: I
did expect the job to be an insignificant one-line command. Thanks Tom.
Apple don't see a profit in providing a mysql-client package.  Ramiro has a
point that lobbying MySQL for a client-only OSX package is a righteous
path. Thanks Ramiro.

But at the end of the day we can't expect everyone else to do everything
for us.  I'm now dreaming of a week or two with nothing to do but put time
into one of those abandoned starts at a django-mysql-connector.  Thanks
Masklinn.

I think you've all answered my questions.

1) It's happened by design; mysqldb is mature, stable and omnipotent;
mysql/oracle and apple are unmotivated.
2) No-one is currently working on removing the dependency.  There are only
a couple of false starts to date.

cheers,
John.