Unless they provide some sort of SaaS service where they take care of
deployment for you, then you need shell access. There are plenty of Django
friendly shared hosts if you are not comfortable deploying your own stack
on a dedi/colo/IaaS cloud - see previous threads on this topic.

Personal advice - don't go with dreamhost... we had the misfortune of
migrating our legacy customer apps from one of their crashed slices.. and
the stupidly random timeouts and stack problems that were intermittent and
impossible to debug.. not a fun experience.

Also, Python 2.5 is almost 6 years old now, and Django doesn't officially
even support 2.5 any more.. you should consider moving to 2.6.6 as a
minimum.

Hope this helps

Cal