One actual use-case I have is when sending links in emails, for example
confirmations, password resets links etc. And IIRC there is a way to do it
in Django it's just not documented.

Personally I resolved it by using configuration variable in settings.py
since in my case actual Django installation is behind proxies and absolute
url user sees is not the same what Django app server sees.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Kurtis Mullins
<kurtis.mull...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is this an actual issue? You realize that there's no difference between
>> /doc/ and http://example.com/doc/ if the current server is
>> http://example.com/?
>>

> +1
>
> I'd like to see the use-case where having absolute URLs everywhere is
> actually necessary. It's not hard to do in certain places where you might
> actually need it. The only place I see needing absolute URLs is when going
> from HTTP to HTTPs and for printing out links that people may copy and
> paste. Even in the former case, a permanent-redirect is better.

Jani Tiainen

- Well planned is half done, and a half done has been sufficient before...