On 10-07-12 08:24, Jon Black wrote:
I've been working on a task management project and am at a point where
I'm happy to make my first release. The idea is that people can install
the project on their own server (at home, at work, wherever) and use it
to manage their tasks.

What should I consider doing before making the code available to both
make life easier for the users/keep private information out of the
repository?

First you have to get the basics right like a proper setup.py, a README, a changelog, that sort of stuff.

If you're looking at how-to-package-a-django-site examples, I'd look at sentry. I liked the way they packaged it. Install it in a virtualenv and it'll set up a django site for you. A custom settings file is installed in some ~/.sentry directory, with defaults imported from a sentry default settings file. Works fine. Pretty clear.

Make sure you've got example configurations on how to integrate it with a webserver (apache/nginx).

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/