On 9/10/12 11:30 AM, Bob Aalsma wrote:

I'm in Chapter 5 of the tutorial, configuring the database.
I think I've done everything correct to set the DATABASE_ENGINE = 'sqlite3'.
Then I check the settings and see an error:
ImproperlyConfigured: settings.DATABASES is improperly configured. Please supply the ENGINE value. Check settings documentation for more details.

You are mixing an older tutorial with a newer version of Django.

Find instructions which describe setting "ENGINE" in the "DATABASES" structure. You see that the error message mentions "DATABASES" and "ENGINES", not "DATABASE_ENGINE" which is the clue here.

hth

                       - Tom