I don't understand PATH and symlink and its relationship to trying to run
django-admin.py for the first time.

As you experienced users will see below I'm trying to create a new project
and following the tutorial on djangoproject.com.

Here is what my bash shows...

Jonos-MacBook-Pro:djcode Jono$ django-admin.py startproject mysite
-bash: django-admin.py: command not found
Jonos-MacBook-Pro:djcode Jono$ ln -s
`pwd`/django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin
ln: /usr/local/bin/django-admin.py: File exists
Jonos-MacBook-Pro:djcode Jono$ python django-admin.py startproject mysite
python: can't open file 'django-admin.py': [Errno 2] No such file or
directory

I looked for solutions but I don't understand what the issue is or the
troubleshooting mentioned here.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/faq/troubleshooting/

Please could someone lend a hand?