On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Elizabeth Rachel Lemon
<elem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to this page:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/databases/
> "Django supports MySQL 5.0.3 and higher."
>
> But the next section says that MySQLdb is required, and when you click the
> link to MySQLdb from that page, it goes to this page:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/
>
> which states that the supported versions are:
> "MySQL versions from 3.23 to 5.1"
>
> Is anyone using Django with MySQL 5.5? The page that says "5.0.3 and higher"
> seems to me to imply that this would work, but if MySQLdb is required for
> Django and MySQLdb only supports up to 5.1, then that implies that it is at
> least not supported. Anyone tried it?

5.5 will work completely fine.

5.1 was Sun's 'new features' branch, which was to be the way
everything was going to go, but after Oracle bought Sun and
re-purposed their engineering so that it wasn't quite so gung-ho, it
was clear 5.1 was a dead end. 5.5 is Oracle's reboot of that, and is
closer to 5.0 than 5.1.

Most of these new features in both branches are orthogonal to working
with Django's ORM however, as the client API has remained completely
stable, with only new features being added.

Cheers

Tom