Because the setup procedure used there is faulty.

This is what happens:

When installing Python install package will bind .PY(C) file execution to use _always_ main installation. It won't follow any path settings which virtualenv relies on.

I'm not sure can you even overcome that restriction easily on cmd. I know that powershell can do it (don't know how though) or personally I use TCC/LE.

Also psycopg2 is installed on main installation and virtualenv created with --no-site-packages should disable it from virtualenv.

This is the battle tested procedure how I do set up my environment:

http://djangonautlostinspace.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/django-and-windows/