I'm having precisely the same issue with precisely the same side effects.
Further, I am able to get output to my logs by adding a print statement to
the admin.py file. So I know it's being executed, it just doesn't show up
in the admin page. Running syncdb has not fixed it.

Has anyone found a solution to this? There obviously must be something else
that needs to be done, as all the other apps continue to hum along just
fine in the admin page.