You would be correct. You cannot install anything else on HostGator (it's
why I left them despite their fantastic customer support). You can see what
they do have installed
here:
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hardware-software/python-modules

Outside of those things you're hosed. Either find another host or lose the
libs. After I had the same problem I moved to WebFaction and couldn't be
happier there. They have great customer support as well (though I do miss
the ability to chat on the fly).

Also it would be easier to install django if you had another host.
Hostgator is great for most things outside of Python land. Again, like
Hostgator, but their Python/Django support is weak sauce.