On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
> <jav...@guerrag.com> wrote:
>>
>> since there's no such thing as "common NoSQL features", each datastore
>> would need its own modifications, so i think the common attitude is
>> that most of these features don't belong in the ORM.
>

> I'm not sure where you've got that impression. Django's ORM was
> *specifically* designed in a way to allow for NoSQL backends. Look at the
> architecture of the django.db module -- there's a query module, and a sql
> submodule. There's very little SQL content in the base query module. That's
> so that we can add a "noSQL" module at some later date. We've also been
> aggressive about adding SQL-specific features (e.g., HAVING clauses, GROUP
> BY clauses) to the ORM API.

i didn't say (and i don't believe) that the ORM is tied to SQL.  it
certainly could use other kind of backends.

What i did say (and still think) that NoSQL is too broad to just be a
backend (like "the study of non-elephant animals").  I think the only
thing most of NoSQL datastores have in common is that you start most
queries with some sort of key; but once you get there, they all
diverge widely.

my advice (and slight experience) is that it's just Python, you can
use any datastore you wish.   Also, the loose-coupling of templates
means you can give them any record-like object instead of an ORM
record, and any sequence-like object instead of a queryset.

what you do lose is the ability to unwind related data objects from a
single record, or further filter the queryset, but:

a) most NoSQL stores don't care about relationships, and
b) some NoSQL stores can't handle record filtering

> There's a *very* clear high level API picture of how NoSQL integration to
> the ORM API would happen. See the design discussions around the NoSQL GSoC
> project for more details.

AFAIR, there were two sides:

A) focus on common features

B) emulate some features on backends that don't provide them

my position is that the A solution quickly becomes an empty set, so i
a way, it's already done!  The B option is interesting but the
performance/scalabilty profiles of each feature is completely
different on different backends, so it could be misleading to wrap on
the same API.

Still, i do like the "quack this way" observation.  Just by
formalizing some defined protocols for the most useful features, we
get a big boost in aplicability.

some easy to convene suggestions:

- make collections iterable as python sequences.  bonus points if you
handle [start:end] slices

- if you handle filtering in a collection, use the
.filter(condition=value, cond2=val2) style on the collection object

- if you handle relationships, expose them as attributes on a "record"
object.  these could be records or collections.

> What we *don't* have is a huge amount of interest in actually doing the work
> to make NoSQL a development priority. NoSQL generated a lot of buzz a few
> years ago, but now the buzz has died down, sober heads have prevailed, and
> it's become clear that a well configured PostgreSQL store is easily a match
> for a NoSQL for most use cases.

wholeheartedly agree

--
Javier