Hello -

I have a Django site that I've been maintaining for 4 years. It is running
Django 1.4 now and is using the usual Django User model plus the
get_profile() method to retrieve some extra information for each user. Now
that Django 1.5 has landed and we can substitute our own custom user model
[1], I'm weighing my options for going forward. The get_profile() stuff is
now deprecated and will go away in Django 1.7 [2]. I'm trying to decide if
I should just keep my profile model around and do the joins [3], or
substitute my own model.

I'm wondering if there is a guide somewhere on how to do a migration to a
custom user model? In a few places people recommend South, but I have no
experience with South. Is it time to learn, or is it overkill? Or can I
just write my own script to fix things up? Then I have to go through all my
apps and refactor the user.get_profile() calls, right? And all those FK's
to Django's User model will have to be changed?

I was hoping there was a guide or some blog posts about how to do this but
I haven't seen anything other than a few stackoverflow questions.

Thanks,
-BN

[1]:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/auth/customizing/#substituting-a-custom-user-model