On 2013-08-21 07:21, Johann wrote:
> Please tell me if this is true.  I'm deciding on Django, asp.net,
> or Java.
>
> If I use asp.net or java and I want to make a change to the
> controller, I have to recompile the class or project, right?

Alas, that's one of the reasons that drove me from Java a while back.

> If I use Django, if I change the controller or model logic, do I
> have to compile everything?

Effectively, there's no "recompilation" in Python/Django as it's all
handled by Python and fairly transparent to the user.  At worst, you
have to restart the Django process to get Python to do the
recompilation for you.

> If I change a a model, don't I have to use "special" django/py
> commands to fix everything in my ORM?
> If I just make nominal changes to the logic in a controller, I can
> just go with it, no recompile necessary?

If you change the actual database structure (add/remove/rename fields,
change their types, add constraints/indexes, etc) when changing
models, then you'd need to handle those separately.  Best practices
usually suggest using South as the least-painful way to do these
database migrations.  Though often in pre-release code, I'll just
nuke the database and rebuild it from the ground up.

If it's just the logic changing and not the actual database structure,
then Python/Django tends to handle everything for you as mentioned
above (at worst, just restart the process to have Python recompile
your changes).

> Sorry for so many questions.  Thanks.

Anything to save you from ASP/Java development ;-)

-tkc