This must be my problem all along:

*By the way, if you're using python 2, you shouldn't be using 'string'
notation for character strings and should be using the u'string' one.
'string' is a binary string while u'string' is a text string.
This is misleading with python 2 as there's implicit conversion between the
two and utf8 will be used as the default charset which may lead to the kind
of errors you've faced*.

I was not using u' at all I was always using the binary strings and had no
problems. I guess MySQL would convert them automagically for me while
Postgres must deal with the data raw waiting for me to add the u' to it and
then it works.  So what I was really looking for is an option that would
convert all binary strings to unicode (text) strings for me without me
having to go back and test and add it manually all over the place...