Rafael

I appreciate your reply; below I try and explain further the reasoning
behind the approach I took.  If you can respond to that, it would help.

Firstly, the issue of test file locations - there are least two places I
have found that recommend these be placed in a different directory:

>From http://toastdriven.com/blog/2011/apr/17/guide-to-testing-in-django-2/

"I prefer to split up the tests into a file structure that mirrors the
app's setup. To do this, we create a new tests directory then move the
existing tests.py into tests/views.py."

From
https://pycon-2012-notes.readthedocs.org/en/latest/testing_and_django.html

"Don’t make the mistake of putting the tests for your app in a tests.py,
because then other people who use your app will be forced to run your tests
when they don’t really need to. Better to put your tests in another
directory."

So this approach should be OK; and the tests seem work - but with that
strange error message.  Still not sure what the exact cause is...

Thanks for the factory_boy suggestion.  I had looked at it, but was trying
to avoid having to learn too may things all at once!  The code I have used
for loading my fixtures comes from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/979434/how-to-load-fixtures-only-once-in-django-unit-tests

- and I added that because of the exact problem raised in that question;
that Django reloads the fixtures for every single test; and that just seems
to slow things right down (we have a lot of fixtures we need for our
database).  if you can suggest another or better way to load our fixtures
just once for a whole class of tests, I'd appreciate hearing about that.

Thanks
Derek