No, python-mysqldb-dbg is not related to the problem.  ("dbg" is an
abbreviation for debug, while "devel" or "dev" stands for I want to do
software development to work with the main package" such as building the
python connectory, the operation that got you your error message.

When you pip install python-msqldb, that only installs the python connector
for MySQL (and if you do it with synaptic, probably only for the system
python).  You also have to install MySQL itself (with no "python-" in front
of it), and it is that package that might have a -dev version.  You install
MySQL and possibley MySQL-dev (or however they're spelled, I don't have a
debian based system handy to check) using synaptic (or apt or dselectd or
yum or rpm).  Then you do whatever you were doing (a pip install of
something?) that got the original error, because it was trying to install
MySQL-python (in your virtualenv, I presume).

My rule of thumb is to never install with synaptic (etc.) that which you
can install with pip, but there are a bunch of things that you can't
install with pip, such as MySQL itself.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAB%2BAj0uiyFri6%2BTVLcFQUG_8RouJv%3DNF7RKGgphVsy63xxmxZg%40mail.gmail.com.