Tom Smith wrote:
> With about a million records I can't imagine doing it any other way...
>
> I want to find my top 100 words (by product_count) then sort them
> alphabetically.... to make a tag cloud...
>
> thanks...

If you are only dealing with 100 records after the query, then its not
a big deal to just sort them by some property in memory. Something
like:

# get the top 100 objects by the first criteria
object_list = Word.objects.all().order_by('-product_count')[:100]

# create a dict of the second criteria -> index of the current list
index = dict([(word.value, i) for i, word in enumerate(object_list)])

# get a new list of objects ordered by the second criteria
sorted_object_list = [object_list[index[key]] for key in
sorted(index.keys())]

I think I got all that syntax right...
-Dave