On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 2:28:25 PM UTC+2, Jeroen Bakker wrote:

>  Hi Anssi,
>
> Not really an answer to your question, but just to give you insight to a
> solution.
>
> We at l1nda are using docker and django with small applications and large
> applications.
>
> We developed an nginx container and uwsgi container and a devops
> container. The devops container does all the tricky parts and the nginx and
> uwsgi containers are basically simple ones.
>
> We have automated the deployment docker (devops) image that internally
> uses docker-py that will minimize the downtime of the django containers.
> The script is just a python file of 100 lines that brings application down
> and up in a redundant way it also starts the staticscollecting etc. As it
> is pulling the images from another server (at our office), the security
> hurden is small.
>
> 1. Pull new images from our private repository
> 2. Collect statics, update databases etc.
> 3. loop per container [we run every application in 4 different containers]
> 3.1 stop old container
> 3.2 start new container.
>
> We use a shared FS (NFS) for sharing the resources (uwsgi is allowed to
> write to the FS and the nginx is only allowed to read from the FS. The
> machine that contains the nginx image is also hosting the FS.

This solution seems excellent, but it is too heavy for those who just want
to deploy single small application.

What I am looking after is a solution for guys who have just completed
Django tutorial and now want to deploy their code. I have a hunch that way
too often the solution is to use devserver + sqlite.

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/8de1f863-e18d-410d-a53a-69af8b2279fd%40googlegroups.com.