I have successfully managed to integrate the comments system into my
Django application and its looking good (with some YUI ajax nonsense to
top it off).  But one thing that I would like is non-registered,
non-logged in users to be able to post a comment.

I realise that this is the goal of the freecomments system, but at some
point I would like to introduce the Karma and ratings system.  So I
need a kinda of a half way house.

Has anyone tried this?  Am I going to have to edit large parts of the
comment system to get this working, or am I missing something obvious.