Hi All,

I'm interested to know what the community's opinions are on how best to package
migrations with reusable apps (I'm thinking of the built-in migrations, but it
seems the same principles would apply for pre-1.8 south migrations).

My current approach is to squash all schema migrations each time a new one is
generated so that new installs are smooth; we've seen issues arise from just
keeping the individual migrations that accumulate the long way (in terms of
both speed and bugs).

I figure existing users who upgrade can be expected to run their own make
migrations if necessary, but perhaps I'm placing the burden of work on the
wrong party...

If initial data is necessary, then it gets its own separate data migration -
this seems to keep the code (and git history) cleaner IMO.

I'd greatly appreciate and criticism, suggestions or alternate approaches that
occurs to you.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/146C30FE-903F-4823-916F-F50B03DFDCB5%40gmail.com.