A lot of it is a matter of personal preference, and a lot comes down to
whether you prefer Python or Ruby.

Python is more general purpose than Ruby, and a lot more general purpose
than PHP, so it is much more likely to be useful outside web apps, or if
you need unusual functionality within a web app - python has a huge range
of libraries available.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ec08c90a-e9ce-4c71-9f12-02b4484aefb9%40googlegroups.com.