On 16/09/2015 9:53 AM, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm working on a school timetable app. I want to fetch hundreds of
thousands of Lesson instances with prefetched m2m relations (e.g.
subjects). My m2m relations use through models (I'm not sure this
actually makes a difference here), and I'm running into performance
issues because the prefetch query does something along the lines of
"SELECT ... FROM lesson_subjects WHERE lesson_id IN
[insane_list_of_lesson_ids]".

I'm no expert so I'm wondering if len([insane_list_of_lesson_ids]) == "hundreds of thousands"?

And if there are that many involved, why wouldn't the infrastructure groan and creak a little?

I'm not much help but I do remember many years ago a school timetable programming guru who told me they are definitely not trivial. I think he was referring to timetable creation given enrolments, student preferences, curriculum/course requirements, availability of teachers and location of campuses. One of the main issues (ISTR) was memory - or lack of it.

Someone other than me is going to have to help on this but I am interested in the solution.

Good luck

Mike

The initial query on Lesson uses a properly indexed filter on e.g.
dates, so I thought I'd try to use the same filter to get the related
Subjects via the relation to Lessons:

qs = Subject.objects.filter(lessons__school_id=8,
lessons__start__lt=datetime(2015, 8, 1))
Lesson.objects.filter(school_id=8, start__lt=datetime(2015, 8, 1))\
.prefetch_related(Prefetch('subjects', queryset=qs))

I can see that the extra filters are added to the prefetch query, but
the huge IN clause is still there.

Am I using Prefetch() wrong? Are there any other techniques to avoid
the huge IN clause in prefetch queries?

Thanks, Erik

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/55F9808E.5060204%40dewhirst.com.au.