Django has foundation for object level (row level) perms:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/topics/auth/customizing/#handling-object-permissions

So basically you just check:

current_user.has_perm('permname', obj)

For a full list of methods you can check:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/ref/contrib/auth/#methods

On 05.11.2015 12:35, Steve West wrote:
Hi all

I'm implementing a Django project in which individual table rows are marked as either private or public. I need to be able to filter accesses to the tables in such a way that logged-in users can see everything, but other users only get visibility of the 'public' rows. My initial thoughts were that I could apply a check on whether the user is logged in in any of three places: at the model level, in views or in templates. It seemed to me that the most elegant and robust option would be to do so at the model level, by writing custom managers for my models. Within the custom managers, I could check if the user is logged in and filter all queries accordingly.

I did an initial implementation of the above approach, but quickly found problems. Whenever I span foreign key relationships in my views, the default model manager is invoked, so i have had to add in further tests for whether the user is logged in at the view level. I've also got some cases where foreign keys are spanned at the template level and have had to add further login tests there, too.

All-in-all, I don't think I am going about this in the right way! In the Django documentation, it seems to be mostly expected that one will use authentication to control access to individual views or model operations, rather than controlling finer-grained access to individual rows, so I haven't found anything that really helps.

Can anyone please offer any advice or suggest what would be the best way of solving the problem or point my at any documentation that might help.

Many thanks

Steve
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com <mailto:django-users@googlegroups.com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/002471e1-8a64-4637-9d00-ae774924fd84%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/002471e1-8a64-4637-9d00-ae774924fd84%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/563B414A.70404%40gmail.com.