Your problem lies on the way Django actually carries out create or update.

As name suggest, create or update does either one. But that's what you don't want - you want conditional update.

Only update if certain fields have been changed. Well this can be done few ways.

So you want to do "update_only_if_at_least_one_of_default_fields_changed_or_create"

Operation is simple, if object is not found, create new one using defaults if found, pull values as a dict, compare against default values and if at least one differs do an update. Otherwise don't do anything.

So basically code would look something like this:

update_if_changed_or_create(**kwargs):
    defaults = kwargs.pop('defaults', None)

    qs = MyModel.objects.filter(**kwargs)

     if not qs: