Hi,

You can use your older project "as a library". But it won't magically enable using outdated libraries. IOW, even if you use 1.4 based project as a library you still need to upgrade parts that are not 1.9 compatible, that also means that all your libraries must be upgraded to support Django 1.9.

Virtualenvironment is used to create sandboxed environment for Python where you can install libraries without affecting system or other virtualenvs. And only one environment can be active at any time.

Depending of size of your codebase you can do two things - do one-time port everything to 1.9 and continue development there. If codebase is so large that it takes significant time, you can do one-time port to different branch of your codebase, do the upgrades and finally backport all new features that are not yet ported over.