...Thanks everyone for the above discussion -- some progress today has been
noted...

To answer Matt's question...

The variable at the root of the error appears to be -- response.
as found in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py
line 89

response is assigned as "None" in the code, before being passed to the
middleware method.

The patch I found on github recommended adding these lines to base.py at
line 94.
#                response = response.render()
#                response_is_rendered = True
Now mysteriously enough when commenting those lines out.
and loading devel server URL via port 8000...
I get a TemplateDoesNotExist at / index.html.

NOW ! -- That is an issue I can far more easily debug.

Also I've found out in the last half hour with the development server
issuing...

# python -Wall manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000

provides more granular details regarding depreciated components, a big help.

Thanks Matt & Daniel,

While I'm not completely out of the woods yet with this port/upgrade at
least I'm moving towards someplace
where traceback is pointing more and more to 'my' code, which if I coded it
I can more easily update/mod/fix.

Otherwise if anyone can point me to information, guides, blogs on porting
from 1.1 to 1.6 please let me know. I've already reviewed the depreciation
memos on the Django site from 1.1 to 1.6, and made note of relevant
changes, but further materials could help.

Thanks

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/22a735ae-70cd-478d-9abf-640ac9ad3b6c%40googlegroups.com.