You didn't answer about proxy. Also, do you reuse connections to
redis.example.com <http://redis.example.com/>? Or create a new one for every
request? If you aren't reusing them, maybe you should add timeout for
connection creation and retry creating after timeout has exceeded. I know this
doesn't solve the problem, but at least you wouldn't have to wait for server
timeout.

I still think something is proxying your request to redis.example.com
<http://redis.example.com/> and this something is what gives you timeouts and
connection errors.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/E58F1469-2A35-45DC-8F5D-7DC9D6E61650%40gmail.com.