Try looking at the code in the autodetector and doing some some debugging
to figure out how old_field_dec and new_field_dec are different:
https://github.com/django/django/blob/8db6a6c0a1c73bf08e71e00d4ab8c4af3c5f0cb8/django/db/migrations/autodetector.py#L911

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/375cbb28-97fa-45a4-9b64-ba1da95faa57%40googlegroups.com.