Got a quantity of a type of tool to have hours booked, sometimes a tool is
booked for all available hours and sometimes for only a few hours and
sometimes more than 1 tool is booked to the job.  The problem I am having
is adding a booking into usable hours, I think I need to determine if the
new booking will slip into an available existing booking, so...

[code]
list =
Booking.objects.all().filter(resource=2).filter(date=now).order_by("-resource_quantity_booked")

//resource is the type of tool
// break the list into the individual tools ( of which there are 5
available)
for x in list:
    plist[x] = {'id': x.id, 'list': list}
    plist = list(plist)
    try:
        pa = plist[0]
     except:
        pa = ""
    try:
        pb = plist[1]
    except:
        pb = ""
    try:
        pc = plist[2]
    except:
        pc = ""
    try:
        pd = plist[3]
    except:
        pd = ""
    try:
        pe = plist[4]
    except:
        pe = ""
//ok got all indivdual tools
// lets assume that tool pb and pc are fully utilised for all available
hours and that tool pa is booked for 4 hours from 10am (10:00 to 14:00)
// therefore there are 2 potential available hours before availble and four
hours after the booking for tool pa
//lets assume that a booking is made for 16:00 (pd as being the 4th booking
object)
// so I want to fold the booking for 16:00 into the previous booking for
10:00 to ustilise the available hours
//so I tried this
    if pd:
        if int(pd.start) < int(pa.start) and (pd.hours <
(int(pa.start)-8)): //looking for prior availability
            pass  //wip
        if int(pd.start) > (pa.hours + int(pa.start)) and (pd.hours <=
(18-pd.hours+int(pd.start))):  // this shows that there is availability
              from itertools import chain
                    #pa = list(chain(pa, pd))
                    #pa.extend(pd)
                    from django.db.models import Q
                    yy = Q(pa) | Q(pd)  //result  (OR: Booking object,
Booking object)
                    papd = chain(pa, pd) //result <itertools.chain object
at 0x7f5d7d37a9d0>
                    // need to empty pd as it is now part of pa?
[/code]
yy appears to be the result I want ( 2 objects (or more)) joined
How do I get at the individual objects within yy in a template?
Is there a better way to do this?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/9f1c864b-d5a4-42ec-bf6c-8e6124792ba3%40googlegroups.com.